Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Monday, February 1, 2010

School Fund Raisers










O.K. Steven comes off the bus with a great big smile and a baggie full of something he is excitedly holding out and talking about as he comes up the front steps today. When he finally gets in and explains, I find that he has been given 9 candy bars to sell for his choir class. You’ve all been through this right? The choir, or band or whatever needs to raise money so they send your kid home with a box full of candy bars to sell to your friends, neighbors and relatives. You groan and ask how many are in the box and just right a check. After all it is better than walking around your neighborhood in the freezing cold or taking them to the office. Well not if your Steven’s mom. How could I. He was looking at me with those big blue eyes and telling me how he was going to sell them to people for $1. If you could only hear him. So I finally agree, but I explain that I need to shower first. As soon as I get out of the shower Steven says, your hair looks fine mom. He does not want to wait for me to dry it. Laughing I tell him he will just have to wait. He stands in the doorway to the bathroom the whole time saying, your hair looks fine, mom. When we are finally ready to go I have to stop off at the post office to get the mail. When I come out he has his window open and is waving to me. When I get in the car I find out he has sold a candy bar from the car window. How could anyone refuse his face? So we make the rounds and sell all 9 candy bars. I am thinking, that was a piece of cake, they should have given him more. Then he begins to tell me how we need to go home so he can put the money in his wallet. Uh, Oh. With all the excitement I didn’t even think about the fact that he thought he was selling this stuff to make money for himself. You should have seen his face. Of coarse that is what he thought. Why else would he go to all that trouble? Well he accepted it pretty well and after all we had so much fun. It is so funny that after 15 years I still have trouble seeing through Steven eyes. I learn something new everyday.

1 comment:

  1. best brother one could ever have, wouldnt change ya for the world buddy! good writing mom!

    ReplyDelete